The Bottom Line
- A unique, throrough and beautiful presentation of Bargue's drawing course
- First-class reproductions clearly demonstrate the principles
- Detailed commentary from Charles Ackerman
- separation of plates and text makes for awkward navigation at times
- opening the book flat for copying is hard on the spine - a folder of plates would be nice
- expensive (but worth it)
- Cast Drawing - 70 plates of line drawings and shaded value drawings from antique sculptures.
- Technical notes include using a plumb-line, key points of reference, shading and modeling.
- Plates of Old Master lithographs, 19 of which full page, with notes on selecting and copying works.
- Plates of 'Acadamies' - drawings of classical poses - with notes.
- Chapter on Bargue's life and work, with color reproductions of drawing and paintings.
- Detailed notes on sight-size drawing and cast drawing techniques.
Guide Review - Charles Bargue - Drawing Course
The Bargue - Gerome course aims to teach the drawing skills of classical realism, accurate, sculptural, beautiful without being decorative. Ackerman's notes are practical and specific, noting such points as how a particular form has been observed and simplified, and discussing the handling of particular poses.
The Drawing Course isn't, as its name might imply, a set of sequential lessons, but a provision of resources and information. Some readers may find it difficult for this reason. The organization needed for a book with full-page illustrations - such as the separation of plates and text - can make navigation of the book awkward initially, and some fundamental information - such as the method of cast drawing and sight size drawing - is at the back of the book. This should not put off the serious student. Be aware that, if using this text for self-instruction, you'll need to be confident enough to gather information and apply it to your own drawing practice. This caution aside, the thorough notes in this text are written in a highly readable and informative style, offering invaluable insights into academic drawing technique. <br> Available from the <a href="http://www.daheshmuseum.org/shop/index.html#ex">Dahesh Museum Shop</a>.