Let's discuss your Manga and Anime eye options for a moment. The four eyes show here are little more than a starting point. In fact your options are virtually limitless!
Some 'rules' you are free to break once you are familiar with Manga style:
- Manga eyes generally have a top and a bottom with suggested sides or corners. (Rule broken by Rock Lee in Naruto)
- The eyebrow follows the shape of the upper eyelid to some degree. (Rule Broken by Sanji in One Piece)
- Distance of the eyebrow from the upper eyelid is proportional to the eye’s height. (I’m pretty sure every character in the later issues and episodes of Dragon Ball Z break this rule.)
- The upper eyelid casts a shadow on the eye (refer to picture).
- Girls' eyes usually have more highlights in them and their eyelashes are longer than boys'.
- Be original with every character. The eyes are the most defining part of a character. A well designed character should be recognized through several wardrobe changes and a haircut. The eyes make this possible.