We often view Manga characters in one or two poses, most often a fairly basic, forward-facing pose. So when we need to draw the character from a different angle, they end up looking like someone else! Avoid this by using a real person as a reference, so you can see how their features change as their head turns. Sketch your character from many different angles.
- Collect a scrapbook of pictures for reference.
- Study other artists' linework and color palette.
- Do a sketchbook page of the face from every angle.
- Do a page of eyes, showing all kinds of expressions.
- Draw hands in different poses and holding objects.
- Write notes about how they move and look. What is special about this character that makes them look different from others?