1. Home

How To Draw Horses

By February 17, 2012

learn how to draw horses

Don't just copy or guess - learn how to draw realistic horses. Every horse is different, and just drawing what you 'think' they look like results in a cartoon of a horse, not a real horse. By observing the proportions and angles carefully, you can get much more realistic results. In this tutorial we take a look at how to observe and sketch a horse, so you can capture the conformation and character of the unique equine individual you are setting out to portray. It's much easier than you think. Check out the How to Draw Horses tutorial.

Comments

February 22, 2012 at 10:23 am
(1) Beth Peterson says:

I learned to draw horses in my pasture as a kid, watching and sketching my own horses (and steers). If you can, be around animals, observe them in their day to day living and movement, study how they are structured — bones, muscles, and especially joints and feet. Then (and here’s the important part) draw with all that knowledge firmly and consciously in mind, as well as observing your present subject.

P.S. Learning how horses are put together makes it a whole lot easier to draw other four-legged mammals, as well. Proportions change, but the joint structure (except for elephants) tends to remain relatively consistent. ;)

February 22, 2012 at 10:25 am
(2) Beth Peterson says:

P.S.S. — Of course, if you read Helen’s excellent tutorial, you’ll find all that out, and more!!! :D …So READ IT!!!! *grinning bigger*

February 22, 2012 at 3:31 pm
(3) Helen South says:

Thanks for your kind comment, Beth!

Great point about structure – I didn’t really talk about anatomy in this one, which is unusual for me, as it’s something I believe is very important to study for any subject! Interesting observation about them being consistenly proportions – you’re right, differences between breeds can be quite subtle – without a reference point you wouldn’t know how tall a Welsh show pony was. Unlike dogs, which have been bred to some very ridiculous proportions.

I will have to track down some horse anatomy references.

February 24, 2012 at 9:27 am
(4) raji says:

Dear Helen,

I am a Indian artist – Art Teacher, .in a middle school. . In India we say the tutors as GURU…..because he or she will drive the darkness away.. that much we respect the teachers . In my life time I really feel so happy to get you as my teacher .. this is all because of my luck. now I learnt how to draw horse and equine sketches . Please visit our school if u come India ….stay with us in our school and get more interacted with tiny Indian student artists.

Thanks

Raji

February 24, 2012 at 3:23 pm
(5) drawsketch says:

Thank you, Raji. I am so honored to be able to help you develop your drawing. Though I’m sure as an art teacher you are already a very fine artist! It would be wonderful to visit India one day – I already have some friends there. Perhaps when my children are older.

February 29, 2012 at 2:28 pm
(6) kelsey says:

I never thought I could draw until i tried it every since I started I loved it so much.