1. Home

Daily Drawing Project

By October 31, 2006

Ok, so I'll call it a Daily Drawing Project. Daily, weekly, whatever.... the point is to draw as often as you can, so this gallery will be regularly updated with source photos, extra detail photos if needed, tips and so on to help you get that regular drawing practice in. I'll add drawn examples as well to show you how I've approached the subject, but start off with looking at it for yourself, and see what you can do with it.

Here's the first project to get you started: Drawing Waterlilies

Comments

October 31, 2006 at 5:09 pm
(1) Vicky says:

Thank you! Thank you!

I am so excited about the daily drawing projects!

Thanks for responding to my special request…….and I’m sure that of many others.

Vicky

October 31, 2006 at 6:06 pm
(2) kiri says:

a wonderful suggestion by vicky. sometimes the hardest thing about drawing daily is deciding on the subject matter, by providing the source i have one less excuse to use.

October 31, 2006 at 8:08 pm
(3) Cephas says:

I’m going to try this on a weekly basis as one a day is too demanding.

Cephas

October 31, 2006 at 8:16 pm
(4) drawsketch says:

Thanks for the idea, Vicky! I’m glad to hear you’re joining in, Kiri and Cephas. I said ‘almost daily drawing’ on the newsletter…. I think maybe two or three a week might be a nice number… as much for me coming up with them as for you drawing them! Luckily some of my relatives have had overseas trips lately and taken some good photographs.

October 31, 2006 at 11:11 pm
(5) CardTrick says:

Do you intend to show the results of those who take up the task?

October 31, 2006 at 11:19 pm
(6) drawsketch says:

Readers are more than welcome to post their efforts in the forum, and we’d love to see them there. I can also put your work in a gallery, depending on how many I get – it can take quite a while to upload images, especially if I have to resize them down to the required size (max 500×500 pixels) and 72 DPI. So if you’d like to send them in, go ahead… hopefully I can keep up!

November 1, 2006 at 11:39 am
(7) Attalus says:

I try and draw every day, already. I find that it takes my mind away from the daily grind, a mini-vacation, as it were.

November 1, 2006 at 12:15 pm
(8) Vicky says:

Well… I worked on my DDP (Daily Drawing Project)in between Trick or Treaters last night and……I sure did enjoy it! Since I begged for this type of project, I feel somewhat accountable to my new drawing peeps,which is a good thing!

Vicky

November 1, 2006 at 12:32 pm
(9) Cynthia Davidson says:

Great idea,I usually aim for at least one drawing per week, but many times have no idea of where to begin.

November 2, 2006 at 12:28 pm
(10) Alex Gowes says:

Thanks for a great idea. May I propose that you include some old masters drawings in the subjects? I think copying those is a really excellent way to learn to draw, in fact it was the classic approach used by the great art schools for generations of students. I agree with whoever said that one a week is about all I could manage.

November 2, 2006 at 5:20 pm
(11) Brenda Glenny says:

I just read about the daily/weekly drawing I think it is a great idea and I hope to partisapate as much as possible. Does it matter what medium we use? I think this exercise will be a great help to all of us who have good intensions but go blank at times.
Thanks
Brenda

November 3, 2006 at 1:08 am
(12) Vicky says:

I’m reporting in to tell you that I have been a good girl and executed all three of the Daily Drawing Project ideas. Thanks so much. It has been nice to just check in and draw. I am hoping that I can make this activity a bonefide habit. I agree with Attalus that the process of drawing does release one’s mind from the “daily grind”.

I have also enjoyed the dialogue here in the comment area.

Vicky

November 3, 2006 at 1:38 am
(13) drawsketch says:

That’s great, Vicky. I’ll be adding some more a little later thisevening! (well, its afternoon here in Australia as I write…)

Alex, good idea about the Old Masters. I’ll have to see if I can track down some copyright-free reproductions. (Harder than one might think).

November 6, 2006 at 5:21 am
(14) Olga says:

I have found great ideas for subject matter on the web – one of my favourite sites is http://www.art.com

November 6, 2006 at 10:27 pm
(15) Andrea says:

Great idea!!! I will post my work as often as possible. Am looking forward to seeing all your works.

November 11, 2006 at 11:38 pm
(16) Linda says:

Maybe I’m over-analyzing this…since it takes me forever to draw a picture, should someone like me make a stab at this “daily” and just whip off a quick sketch, just for the practice? Or aim for a completed project? Thanks! Great idea!

November 12, 2006 at 6:56 am
(17) drawsketch says:

Hi Linda… well, I guess it depends where you’re at with your drawing. If you are happy only doing long involved drawings, that’s okay. But do you think you would benefit from some more relaxed practice? I think a quick sketch can be very useful – you might foucs on a particular issue, such as training your visual memory, or trying to get a very fluid and elegant line. If you prefer to do just an occasional one that catches your interest, that’s fine too. Maybe I should post some higher-res images for printing.

January 27, 2010 at 5:46 am
(18) masenas says:

Hi, sounds like a good idea;) Had the same inspiration you have.

Check out http://masenas.wordpress.com
I’m only in the first month but so far so good;)

Tell me what you think;)

Cya
Tomas Bloem

January 28, 2010 at 6:26 pm
(19) drawsketch says:

You’re making really great progress with these, masenas! I really like your use of typography – that graffiti lettering looks great. (I’m quite ignorant about graffiti as an art form, but I still like the way it looks).